Not only is doing your laundry a great way to procrastinate, but it keeps your clothes clean. Typically, the laundry machines on campus cost 75 cents per load, or $1.50 for a wash and dry cycle. Detergent is available in the C-Store. Wash cycles take 26 minutes and dry cycles take 1 hour.
Ask your parents for a ton of quarters. It's a relatively cheap, but useful gift. $10 in quarters is worth $10, but it's priceless when the change machine is broken.
For some students, this will be the first time they have had to deal with handling all their laundry in a shared/pay environment. A few things to note:
- If you have one of those collapsible mesh/wire laundry baskets everyone seems to have, you can expect to use 3 washers and 2 or 3 dryers for one basket-full. Note that 3 dryers is recommended if you want your clothing reasonably dry, especially in the more humid times of the year. In the winter you may get away with 2.
- Most students appear do laundry on Sundays, so plan accordingly.
- The delicate cycle on the dryers generally won't dry your clothes in one 60 minute interval. The regular cycle will beat them up. The choice is yours.
- Clean the lint filter first. You want to get your money's worth, don't you? Also, don't steal the lint filter. That's just lame.
- Don't worry about mixing whites and light colors. It really doesn't matter that much. Just set the washer to "colors" and you're safe.
- Fold your clothes while they're hot to avoid ironing.
- Don't leave your clothes sitting in the dryers all day when you forget about your laundry, or at the very least don't be pissed off when someone removes them for you.
Residence halls with laundry facilities
- Post (don't use the second dryer from the left, it doesn't dry)
- International House Has 1 washer, 1 dryer - these require money, despite popular belief
- Hamblin has 3 washers and 3 dryers
- Exec has 2 washers and 2 dryers
- Longden has 3 washers and 4 dryers (the dryers on the left side work much better)
- Seymour Hall has 4 washers and 4 dryers (2 on second floor, 2 on third floor)
- The Townhouses have 4 washers and 4 dryers in a common room accessible through the archway.